These delicious breakfast muffins are much easier to make than you'd expect. They're also vegan and free from refined sugar.
- 180g oat flour (if you don’t have oat flour you can whizz up oats in a food processor until it reaches a flour consistency
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plant milk (any plant milk will work)
- 2-3 ripe bananas, depending on size (I used 3 small ones) - if you don’t have ripe bananas you can bake the ones you have, in their skins, for around 20 mins until soft and the skin has gone black. Wait until they’re cool enough to peel and mash
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbs Apple cider vinegar
- blueberries or chocolate chips or nuts or anything you fancy!
- Muffin tray
- 2x mixing bowls
- Food processor (if you need to make your own oat flour)
Step 1: Grease or line the muffin tray and set the oven to 180 degrees
Step 2: Mash the bananas, and then combine together with the remainder of the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl
Step 3: Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, and then pour into the bowl with the wet ingredients and give it a good stir
Step 4: Once all the ingredients are combined, you can add any extras. I added blueberries as they are so sweet and delicious once baked! .
Step 5: Pour the mixture into the muffin tray and leave around 1cm gap from the top to allow the muffins to rise. Bake in the oven between 20-25 minutes or until they’re golden on top.
Step 6: Once cooked, allow them to cool slightly before removing from the tray
Top tip: these freeze really well! Place in an airtight container or wrap them individually in foil before popping in the freezer
This recipe has been created by Ella Charlton. She's a wannabe chief who rediscovered her love of food after becoming vegan. You can marvel at her other plant-based recipes over at @vegella.lawson