The Sussex Vegan Mum brings you her delicious ‘Autumn in a cake’! It is a great way to use up any pumpkin innards, but if you don’t have a pumpkin to hand you could use canned pumpkin puree.
- 250g pumpkin innards (seeds removed and stringy bits blended up into a puree) or 250g tinned pumpkin puree (available in most supermarkets)
- 225g bread flour or self raising flour
- 250g dark brown sugar
- 70g caster sugar
- 100g melted dairy free butter (I recommend Pure Sunflower spread)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate
- 75ml full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 100g sultanas
- 50g flaked coconut (not essential but adds some lovely texture)
- 1/2 tsp salt
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 170C / 150C fan Line or grease a loaf tin. Mix all of the dry ingredients (including the sultanas and coconut flakes) together in a bowl.
Step 2: Melt the dairy free butter, allow to cool and then slowly add to the dry ingredients.
Step 3: Add the coconut milk and pureed pumpkin innards.
Step 4: Mix everything together until fully combined.
Step 5: Pour the contents into a lined or greased loaf tin (I find using a loaf liner gives the best results).
Step 6: Bake for around 1 hr 35 mins. To check it's properly cooked, insert a knife into the middle - if it comes out dry (with nothing stuck to it), then it's ready! Allow the loaf to cool in the tin for around 15 mins before turning onto a cooling rack.
Step 7: Tuck in whilst warm and serve with vegan custard or ice cream.
This recipe was created by Rissa, AKA The Sussex Vegan Mum. Drool over her other scrumptious kitchen creations over on Instagram here (@sussex.vegan.mum)